ABC Classics are thrilled to announce the reissue of three albums by acclaimed Australian guitarists Slava and Leonard Grigoryan.
Distance was the fourth duo release from the Grigoryans, and reveals their love of jazz and improvisation. The album title hints at a theme of geographical distance, borne out by the varied and far-flung homelands of the musicians involved here: US jazz icon Ralph Towner, Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel, Australia’s own Nigel Westlake, Brazilian guitarist Paulo Bellinati and England’s William Lovelady.
But this album also hits a little closer to home: the brothers’ parents Edward and Irina Grigoryan perform on this recording, as do compositions by some of Australia’s finest contemporary composers in Jeremy Alsop and Shaun Rigney.
The Grigoryan Brothers, individually and as a duo, are counted amongst the finest musicians of their generation. Between them, they have clocked up an incredible 21 ARIA Award nominations and their recording and performing careers – and popularity – continue to flourish.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. PAULO BELLINATI Jongo
2. LEONARD GRIGORYAN Distance
3. RALPH TOWNER From a Dream (with Edward Grigoryan, violin; Irina Grigoryan, viola; Slava Iourgaev, cello; Ben Robertson, double bass)
4. WILLIAM LOVELADY Nartuby River
5. WOLFGANG MUTHSPIEL Everything Happens to That Dog (with Daniel Farrugia, drums)
6. NIGEL WESTLAKE Shards of Jaisalmer (with Doug de Vries, guitar)